Horsebox Conversion to Mobile Coffee Shop – And so it all began!
Back in October we took the decision to take 47 Degrees Coffee on the road, and what better way than to embark on a project of converting an old horsebox trailer into a mobile coffee and catering shop. The first objective was to source the trailer. Luckily my cousin trades in agricultural equipment and he managed to source an old 1980’s Sinclair trailer and by the look of it (number on the roof and in black and white) it was an old police horse trailer.
For the princely sum of £500 she was secured. I hasten to add it was in a sorry state, I’ll come on to that later.
Once we got her back to 47 Degrees HQ it was time for an inspection followed by operation – remove all evidence of horses.
- First job was to remove all the horse dividers, feeding baskets and worst of all the floor boards – which can only be described as grim!!!!
- Second job was to give it a dam good jet wash with disinfectant.
- Third job was to rip out and fit new towing electrics from nose to tail.
- Fourth job was to repair the metre long crack in the roof with fibre glass sheets and resin, which when working overhead is a very messy job indeed. Several sheets of fibre glass later, followed by exterior car body filler she was water tight and as good as new.
- Fith job was to grind back, clean and red oxide both axles.
Fitting new floor boards
Having consulted with our local timber supplier we took the decision to fit 12mm engineered ply rather than the excessively expensive marine ply.
Next job was to grind of all the obstructions (brackets, loops, hooks) from the walls and roof and fit the battons ready for boarding out. We took the advice not to screw/rivet the battons to the side and roof as this would compromise the integrity of the trailer and create multiple water ingress points. Instead, we took the decision to fix all the battons with Silkaflex grab adhesive which gives us the comfort knowing that the whole trailer can flex without coming apart.
Installing the hatch and shelf
Due to the engineering involved in fabricating and fitting the hatch and shelf we outsourced this task to a friend and owner of a metal window company. As you can see from the photo’s below they did an unbelievable job.
Next we installed the insulation and condensation barrier supplied by our local VW campervan conversion company CLR Prestige (http://clrprestige.co.uk/)
And that’s where we are right now.
Next job is to board out the interior – watch this space for updates